Staff Email - Events Calendars
Requesting and Managing an Events Calendar
For those using the MS Exchange email service for staff a non-personal events calendar may be setup to manage events, such as annual leave for a group of staff, where there may be multiple entries at any one time.
If you would like to have a new Events Calendar created then the Authorised Party, who is your Head of Department or School Administrator, must submit an Events Calendar request via our online form.
IS Services will create the events calendar and email the person who has been delegated rights to manage the calendar permissions with step-by-step instructions on how to do so, in order to define who has Editor access and who has Reviewer access. The steps outlined below may then be followed by those who have been granted these permissions.
Viewing and Updating an Events Calendar
Those who are given Reviewer access may view an events calendar using any of the supported applications (Outlook 2007, Outlook 2010, Outlook 2011, Entourage 2008 or OWA). Those with Editor access who need to create or edit calendar entries must connect via Outlook on the PC or Entourage on the Mac.
It is possible to use OWA to view other calendars that you have been given access to. Note that you must use Outlook or Entourage in order to create or edit calendar entries however. To view the calendar you must manually enter the URL (web address) for the particular calendar. Once you have done this you can bookmark it or add it to your favourites so you can access it quickly the next time.
- First login to OWA using your own username and password.
- To view the monthly view enter the following URL, replacing 'username' with the username of the calendar you wish to access. The IS Services Helpdesk can provide you with the 'username' for the calendar:
- To view the daily view enter the URL below, again replacing 'username' with the appropriate username:
- To view the weekly view enter the URL below and again replace 'username' as appropriate:
- Launch Outlook
- Choose Go - Calendar from the main menu or choose Calendar from the bottom left
- In Outlook 2007 under the list of calendars on the left choose Open a Shared Calendar...
In Outlook 2011 choose Open Calendar - Open Shared Calendar... from the main menu at the top of the screen
- Enter the 'username' for the events calendar you wish to access. If you do not know this 'username' then click on 'Name...' and you will be asked to search for the calendar. Make sure that the 'Address Book' field is set to the 'Global Address List' and the 'More columns' radio button is selected.
- Enter the calendar name in the search field and click 'Go'. Choose the appropriate name from the list returned. Click the Add button and click OK. Click OK when done.
- Once the connection has been established the Events Calendar should be visible in Outlook by choosing Go - Calendar and choosing the appropriate calendar from the list on the left.
- Launch Outlook
- Choose Calendar on the list of options towards the bottom left, as below
- Choose the Home tab at the top and then Open Calendar button, as below
- For User enter the College username of the person whose calendar you wish to connect to. Alternatively click the address book icon to the right and search for the person. Note that this person must have already shared out their calendar to you.
- The shared calendar will appear on the right side of your screen under Shared Calendars. You can click the name of the calendar and view its content.
- Launch Entourage
- Click on the 'Calendar' option beside the 'Inbox' option to switch to the Calendar view
- From the main menu choose File - Open Other User’s folder
- Enter the 'username' of the Events Calendar you want to see. Alternatively, click on the 'People' button beside the 'User' field and type in the username and click 'Find'. If you are not sure of the username for the Events Calendar you wish to access then please contact the IS Services Helpdesk.
- Choose the appropriate name from the list and click OK, then choose the type of resource you want to access in the 'Type' field, in this case the 'Calendar' resource. The Events Calendar will be displayed in the left hand pane.