MyZone - Student Email & Calendar Service - Hosted by Google
- Set MyZone Password
- Sign-In & Access Email, Calendar & Documents/Storage
- Documents & MyZone Storage
- Frequently Asked Questions
- Getting Help - Past Students
- Getting Help - Current Students
- Google Apps Status Dashboard
MyZone Service Outline
College email for students is available via an online service, called MyZone, available from any computer with internet access at http://myzone.tcd.ie. This MyZone service operates as a centralised login point to allow students access their College email and other services such as calendar and documents. With MyZone, College students are able to retain their College email address for life. The MyZone email service is similar to Google's Gmail service and so offers many benefits including roughly 30GB data storage space. For the latest up-to-date particulars please see Google's terms of service.
New users of MyZone must set a password for the MyZone service before then being able to sign-in to MyZone. When you click the 'Set MyZone Password' link below you will be prompted for your College username and network login password.
Set MyZone Password
- Browse to http://myzone.tcd.ie. As the MyZone website is external to College (it is hosted by Google) you may be prompted for your College username and network login password when you attempt to browse to http://myzone.tcd.ie.
- When you reach the main MyZone page you can then sign in to MyZone, via the 'Sign in' link at the top left of the page. You will then be brought to a login page where you can enter your College username and MyZone password. If you have not signed into MyZone before note that you must set your MyZone password before being able to sign in.
- Once you have signed in successfully for the first time you will need to accept Google's terms of service. You will then be brought to your email inbox. You can access other services such as calendar and documents/storage via the links at the top left of the page.
The Documents service allows you to create new documents and upload data files for storage in your MyZone account. The capacity of this online MyZone Storage location is being increased to 30GB and as it is part of your College MyZone account it means you can access any files stored here from any computer with internet access via http://myzone.tcd.ie. As you retain your MyZone account when you finally leave College, files uploaded to this MyZone Storage area will also remain available to you when your time in College ends.
- Once you have signed in to MyZone successfully you will be able to access the Documents service via the Documents link at the top left of the screen. This brings you to the main Documents screen. There is also a shortcut to this available on the desktop of the College comptuer room PCs and Macs - MyZone Storage.
- Towards the top left of the main Documents screen you will see the options to Create, to create a new document, and Upload, to upload files into your storage area. If you hover over any existing file and choose Actions on the right you can view, edit, share or download that file.
- If you wish to upload files into your MyZone Storage then, after choosing Upload (the button beside the Create button), choose Files and you can then browse to and select the relevant file(s) you wish to store online. If prompted then note that it is recommended to uncheck the option to Convert documents, presentations, spreadsheets, and drawings to the corresponding Google Docs formats.
IS Services do not provide support or training for documents created using the Google docs format, however if you do use these formats it is worth noting that you may upload thousands of Google-formatted docs and they will not use up any of your storage allocation
Further information and assistance in using the Documents service is available via Google's Google Docs Help web pages. This information is also available via the Options icon at the top right of the Documents window.
If you are a past student i.e. no longer a registered current student in College, support for the MyZone service is only available from the TCD Alumni Relations Office and not from IS Services. You may contact the TCD Alumni Relations Office at +353 (0)1 896 2088.
TCD email for life is a privilege granted by the College and not an automatic right. The College, as the owner of the trademark TCD, retains, at its sole discretion, the right to withdraw email for life privileges.
In general if you need assistance you should first refer to our MyZone frequently asked questions. If you still need help then check the online help from Google which is available via the 'Help' link at the top left of the MyZone home page or via the Options icon at the top right of the screen in the MyZone email and calendar services. The following is a list of some of the more common Google help topics:
If you are a current registered student and need additional assistance you may contact the IS Services Helpdesk. Please be aware the IS Services Helpdesk will support MyZone password problems and will advise on email issues.
As above, please refer to Google’s learning centre for usage information and advice for email, documents and calendar components.
The IS Services Helpdesk Will Not Provide Support For:
- Accessing MyZone using mobile devices such as the iPhone, iPad, Blackberry or other WiFi capable smartphones and mobile devices. All support for these devices are provided by the MyZone online help function
- The use of standard Gmail accounts or other Google services such as Google Chat or Google Sites.
MyZone is provided via Education Edition Google Apps and we encourage TCD students to follow College’s policies and guidelines regarding Data Management when working with intellectual property or any form of TCD Confidential Data in Google Apps. Appropriate Use of the Trinity College Dublin Google Apps Education Edition Services are provided for information.
As the MyZone service is provided by Google it can be affected by any global issues concerning Google Apps such as Gmail. The Google Apps Status Dashboard highlights current issues and expected resolution times.