Installing and configuring FileZilla
If there is already an older version of FileZilla installed on your computer please uninstall this before proceeding to download and install the supported version, as outlined below.
- Click on the appropriate download link below and save the installation file to your computer
- FileZilla for Windows
- FileZilla for Apple Mac
- FileZilla for Linux (32-bit)
- FileZilla for Linux (64-bit)
The instructions below outline how to configure FileZilla to use the College FTP proxy server in order to connect to non-College FTP servers. These steps are not required if connecting to a College FTP server.
- Launch FileZilla
- Choose Edit - Settings (or FileZilla - Preferences on the Mac)
- Select Generic Proxy from the left
- Enter the details as follows, and as shown below:
Proxy Type: HTTP CONNECT
Proxy Host: ftp-proxy.tcd.ie
Proxy Port: 8080
Proxy User: <Your College username>
Proxy Password: <Your network login password>
The steps below outline how to use FileZilla to setup an FTP connection.
- To add a new FTP site first open the Site Manager; choose File - Site Manager
- As shown below, enter in the details of the FTP host you wish to connect to.
For 'Host' enter the name of the server you wish to connect to.
For 'Port' the default value is 21.
For 'Server Type' choose the security level of the server you wish to connect to.
'Logontype', 'User' and 'Password' are all dependent on the server you are connecting to and these details would be supplied by the support personnel for that server.
- Once you have filled in all the appropriate fields click on Connect. A short connection status report will display indicating if the connection is successful.
- You will then be presented with a list of the files on the remote server.
- To download a file from the remote server simply browse to the required file and right click on it. You can choose to download it now or queue it for later.