Get & Put Folders
Get and Put folders are a facility on the College network that allow lecturers and students to share files. For example, a member of the teaching staff can make assignments or lecture notes available in a 'Get' folder where they can then be collected by students. Student can then submit their assignment to a corresponding 'Put' folder from where it can be collected by their lecturer.
Only staff members may request Get and Put folders by contacting the IS Services Helpdesk. The requester will be the designated owner of the folders and will have sole responsibility for access permissions to the folders. Additional owners can be nominated when the initial request is made. Sole responsibility for backing up all files in Get and Put folders lies with the folder owner. For advice on how to backup the folders see our data backup pages.
Each Get/Put folder has a quota of 175MB. Folders owners are encouraged to remove old files periodically to ensure there is sufficient space for assignments, particularly towards the end of term.
Note that Get and Put folders are accessible only while on the College network. They are not available at home or via the web. See our pages on how to access Get and Put Folders.
General Usage Advice
- Projects of exceptional importance or confidentiality should be returned by hand.
- Folder owners should take backups of their Get and Put folders.
- Students should always keep a backup of their files.
- Once a student has copied an assignment into the Put folder it cannot be retrieved or modified by them. The file is time stamped with the time it was Put into the lecturer's folder.
- Lecturers should ask students to name their assignments with an identifiable name such as their username or student number: eg 12345678.doc as if there is only one essay title all essays submitted will have the same title.