PC laptop purchasing
In order to comply with College procurement policy, College-funded PC laptops must be purchased from the official College PC supplier, Dell.
The range of laptops include a mainstream, fully-featured, powerful laptop with a large wide screen display which is ideal for use in the office and at home and other models such as a lightweight laptop which is ideal for traveling and fieldwork and also for use back in the office.
This range of laptops and their particular specifications have been selected to match the requirements of the College for administration, learning & teaching and research activities. This laptop range is from the business range of computers, not the home computer range, and therefore comes with a good warranty program ensuring the hardware support arrangements in place include next business day onsite engineer support if a repair is necessary. These laptops are provided by the supplier are at a special discounted price and include a pre-installed TCD software image.
This laptop range is installed with a pre-configured image to ensure seamless connection to the College teaching and research network. Please note: A machine supplied without the correct version of Windows operating system may not be able to be connected to the network.
- Suitable MS Windows operating system (Professional or Business version)
- Correct operating system drivers for network card, graphic card and other peripherals
- College software portfolio, plug-ins and appropriate customizations including MS Office 2007
- Anti Virus Client - McAfee which is ready to connect to the College central AV protection server
- Update and patch management client - SCCM which is ready to connect to the College central update provision to ensure workstations are not left without updates to protect again virus and other security vulnerabilities
- An Administrator account enabled and pre-expired
- Configuration required to comply with legislation in areas of
- Accessibility, as requested by Disability Office
- Irish Language Scheme, as requested by Irish Language Office, in the form of Irish Language proofing tools for MS Office
Dell Pro Support
IS Services recommends that staff purchase the 'Pro' support warranty for their Dell desktops and laptops. There are a number of warranty levels but if you read the pdf link below you will see particulars of the 'Pro' support option. Normally this comes as standard, but staff should make sure it included on their quote before placing the order. It may also worth considering Accidental Damage cover.
HP/DSS technical support
If you previously purchased a HP computer from the former College suppliers, DSS, and you need technical support please find the relevant contact details below.
Phone: (01) 6619531
Post: Decision Support Systems, Hyde House, Adelaide Road, Dublin 2
Having problems with IT suppliers?
If you are having problems with any of the suppliers please contact the College procurement office as follows: