Research & Innovation
Reflecting the IT requirements of the College research community, IS Services actively support and facilitate research through various applications and services. These range from the dedicated system such as the Research Support System through to key infrastructure such as the College network and to support services including the Helpdesk and IT training courses developed to meet researchers needs.
The Research Support System (RSS)
The Research Support System (RSS) is a web-based information system, which incorporates an expertise database. The system was built in-house by MIS (IS Services), and allows members of academic staff to input and update information on their academic interests and research expertise and publications.
The RSS is integrated with TARA, an open access repository, which means that the full text of work deposited here can be uploaded, starting from the RSS, and then is freely accessible to the world via the Web
Benefits of the RSS
The Research Support System is intended to maxmimise impact and save time, and provides:
- A database of the College's expertise for international external bodies/collaborators to search
- Promotion of the research of individual faculty or research groups
- A means of creating and maintaining up-to-date publications lists
- Automatic generation of webpages
- A means of generating reports by College, Department, Individuals, Research Centre, for internal and external use, including inputs to the Calendar's list of publications
- A means of avoiding repetition in the request-for / provision-of information
- An opportunity for faculty profiles to be exported to the Expertise Ireland portal
The Link to Expertise Ireland
An important part of the Research Support System is the regular export of data to the Expertise Ireland portal. This collaborative All-Island Portal of Research Expertise exists to facilitate Industry, Business and Government in accessing university expertise. The 'Approved' box must be selected on a TCD profile in order for its details to be exported to Expertise Ireland.
The Innovation Support System
During 2009, College announced a major extension to its existing mission of Education and Research by adding a third pillar, that of Innovation. Read more about the Innovation Support System.
Gartner Core Research Program
The Gartner Core Research Program is a comprehensive initiative designed to provide access to the world's foremost repository of expert analysis on Information Technology topics.