Username & Passwords
Below is brief information regarding your College username and the passwords that you will require to access College IT systems. Further information is available via the podcast, linked to on the right, and also via the main username & passwords section of the IS Services website.
Obtaining your username & password
After completing registration online in my.tcd.ie you will be provided with your TCD computer account username and initial network login password via an Intray Message. Note that your College email address takes the form firstname.lastname@example.org.
Setting your own password
After obtaining the username and initial password you should set your own password. In fact, you must do this before being able to sign in to your MyZone email account:
- Browse to http://myzone.tcd.ie
- Click the 'Set Password' link near the top of the screen
- Enter your username and the initial password supplied to you in the Intray Message in my.tcd.ie
- Enter and verify your new password, making note of the password requirements
- After submitting this new password you should receive two success messages, one indicating you have set a password for the MyZone email service and one indicating you have changed your network login password
- If you ever wish to change your password again just repeat these steps, entering the current password at step 3
Network login password
This password is required for:
- Network login to the computers in the College Computer Rooms
- Access to websites external to College, when using College computers
- Access to restricted access College web pages, especially when outside College
- Registration on the TCDconnect service which allows you connect your computer to the College network and gain fast, secure internet access
- Login to College’s VLE, Blackboard Learn
- Login to the my.tcd.ie web portal
- Access to online Library resources such as e-journals and databases
Managing your password
For security, your network login password must be changed within 14 days of first logging into a computer in College. If you do not change it on the same day as your first login then you will receive an email from IS Services advising you of this expiry.
Further information on managing your passwords is available via the main usernames & passwords section of the IS Services website
Frequently Asked Questions
Q. I am trying to set a new password but I keep getting errors
A. Make sure you are meeting the password rules. Passwords must:
Be at least 8 characters long
Have a mix of uppercase and lowercase characters
Include at least one numeric character OR include one of these special characters ! @ % * _ - + = ~
Note that € and £ are not valid characters and that the password cannot include part of your first name, last name or username
Q. When trying to use my network login password I’m getting a message that my account is locked
A. Your account will become locked out if the system detects that someone has repeatedly attempted to login using your username and an incorrect password. If your account becomes locked out you have three options:
If you registered with TCD Password Manager then you can access it and unlock your account
You may wait 4 hours and your account will be unlocked automatically
You may call in person to the IS Services Helpdesk in Áras an Phiarsaigh with your student ID card.
Q. My password won’t work
A. Verify that you are using the correct password. For example, you cannot login to the MyZone email system using your network login password.
On the keyboard check that CAPSLOCK is not turned on by mistake. Also check that NUMLOCK is on if you are using the number keypad. Note that it is also possible that your account is locked out or that the password has expired (see above).